Many Arizonans live in smaller apartments, condos and homes. Whethere you have roommates, or have downsized to save money or for an effortless retirement lifestyle, small space organization will make your home more pleasant and functional. Luckily, there are many solutions!
Check out these top 5 ideas for maximizing your small space:
- Decide what needs to be accessible because you use it often, and what can be stored out of sight. Think summer vs. winter clothes from your closet, or home décor unique to the season – they can both be stored under the bed, or on the highest shelf in your closet, and rotated out twice a year.
- Think “outside the box” for storage solutions. Over-the-door hangers are great for your bedroom or bathroom, and wall-mounted racks can be added to kitchen cupboards and the pantry. Adding more rods, or hanging cubbies for shoes and accessories can gain closet space.
- Get creative and maximize your vertical space! Bookshelves that reach to the top of the room instead of only halfway, tall skinny entertainment units rather than deep and wide ones, and the dead space above kitchen cabinets can all add valuable storage and organization space.
- Bring in multi-purpose furniture. Ottomans should double as storage for your blankets, coffee tables with a drawer can house remotes and magazines, and dining tables with a center leaf give the option of seating more when needed but keep a small footprint for everyday use.
- The key to maintaining a clutter-free home in small living quarters is tidying as you go. Get in the habit of putting everything away in its place once you’ve used it and you’ll feel like you’re living in more space than you really have. Don’t give stacks of mail, piles of laundry or totes full of toiletries the chance to fill up your cherished home.
These five suggestions are just a start! There are plenty of ideas out there if you have the time and energy to dedicate to simplifying, purging, and organizing your home. It’s all about making your home not only work for you but having it feel like your sanctuary at the end of a long day.
For more of our suggestions read Quick and Easy Decluttering Tips, or call Desert Dimensions Properties at any time, at 480-270-5355.